University of Florida: How much do you know about Gator nation?
by Jennifer Jordan
The University of Florida, located in Gainesville, has the unique distinction of being a public land grant school. Home to thousands and thousands of students, this university not only has made a name for itself in athletics, but it has also been known to contribute a thing or two to the world of academia. If you went there as a student, chances are you know a few things about the university, at least where to find the best parties. Take our quiz to find out if you are a true gator, or one that is merely up the swamp without a webbed foot.
1. What year was the University of Florida established?
d. 2500 BC
2. The year 1947 marked a year when what happened at the University of Florida?
a. Women were first admitted
b. The school was racially integrated
c. Post World War II propaganda caused a riot
d. An alligator got his bachelor’s degree
3. The University of Florida professors and students are credited with many inventions. What sports drink was invented at this school?
b. All Sport
4. The University of Florida is the _____ largest university in the United States.
5. What famous musician siblings attended the University of Florida?
b. The Righteous Brothers
c. The Bellamy Brothers
d. The Brady Bunch
6. What NFL running back, who presently plays for a Florida team, attended the University of Florida?
a. Fred Taylor
b. Ronnie Brown
c. Cadillac Williams
d. Dan Marino
7. What is the motto (when translated from Latin to English) of the University of Florida?
a. Strength, Skill, Customs
b. The welfare of the state depends on the morals of its citizens
c. Let Your Light Shine
d. May the Force be with you
8. What is the name of the University of Florida’s mascot?
a. Crock A. Dile
b. Albert E. Gator
c. Bob L. Gator
9. How many colleges is the University of Florida divided into?
d. 1, they don’t believe in dividing
10. The University of Florida athletic programs have the distinction of being what?
a. One of only two schools to be ranked in the top ten for the past 23 years
b. The only school to have won back to back championships
c. The school that has produced the most pro bowl NFL players
d. An athletic program that drinks Gatorade.
Answers: 1. b. 1853; 2. a. Women were first admitted; 3. c. Gatorade; 4. c. third; 5. c. The Bellamy Brothers; 6. a. Fred Taylor; 7. b. The welfare of the state depends on the morals of its citizens; 8. b. Albert E. Gator; 9. c. 16; 10. a. One of only two schools to be ranked in the top ten for the past 23 years.
See how you did:
9-10 correct: Okay, so obviously you’re an alumnus.
6-8 correct: Pretty good…a round of Gatorade’s on us.
3-5 correct: If you want to the University of Florida, you probably ditched a lot of classes.
Less than 3 correct: I’m guessing you’re a Seminole.