Florida Sports Trivia: How Much do you Know?
So, you think you’re a sports fan. Your wardrobe consists of jerseys, ball caps, and giant foam fingers. Your diet consists of pizza, beer, and chips. You watch games, memorize stats, and practice your victory dance in front of the mirror. You may know a lot about sports, but how much do you know about Florida sports? Take this quiz to find out.
1. Who quarterbacked the Miami Dolphins during their 1972 “Perfect Season?”
a. Don Shula
b. John Elway
c. Dan Marino
d. Bob Griese
2. Despite never having played in Miami, The Heat retired what basketball player’s jersey?
a. Michael Jordan
b. Larry Bird
c. Magic Johnson
d. Pete Maravich
3. In 2004, The Florida Marlins became the only current Major League Baseball team to have what?
a. a Cheerleading squad
b. a private jet
c. an agreement with Adidas
d. a team psychiatrist
4. In 1987, what player led the Florida Gators to the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet Sixteen?
a. Mike Miller
b. Jason Williams
c. David Lee
d. Vernon Maxwell
5. The Florida Panthers professional hockey team was founded during what year?
6. The Miami Hurricanes football program holds the NCAA record for the longest winning streak at home with what number?
7. During the playoffs for the 1996 NFL season, the Jacksonville Jaguars pulled off one of the biggest upsets in sports history by defeating who?
a. The Denver Broncos
b. The New York Jets
c. The New England Patriots
d. The Miami Dolphins
8. The 2002 movie The Rookie was based on what former Tampa Bay Devil Ray’s player?
a. Jose Canseco
b. Vinny Castillla
c. Jim Morris
d. Wade Boggs
9. The 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers became the only NFL team in modern football history to do what?
a. have a woman on their team
b. Go completely winless
c. fire their coach after one game
d. get caught cheating
10. What racecar driver holds the track record for a single lap at the Homestead-Miami Speedway?
a. Daryl Earnhardt
b. Greg Moore
c. Ricky Bobby
d. Dario Franchitti
Answers: 1. d. Bob Griese; 2. a. Michael Jordan; 3. a. a Cheerleading squad; 4. d. Vernon Maxwell; 5. c. 1993; 6. c. 58; 7. a. The Denver Broncos; 8. c. Jim Morris; 9. b. Go completely winless; 10. b. Greg Moore.
See what your result tell you:
8-10 correct: You know Florida Sports trivia as well as anyone. You are the wind beneath Don Shula’s wings.
6-7 correct: You know more than most people, but still their is room for improvement. Better start hitting those two-a-days until your brain is full.
3-5 correct: You are batting – at best – .500. That kind of sports knowledge might fly in Wyoming, but not in Florida.
Less than 3 correct: You may just not be “sports” material. Perhaps you better change the channel from ESPN to Lifetime.